JOB TITLE: Thrift Store Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Full-time (40 hours/week)
STARTING SALARY: Minimum $15.00/hr
REVISED DATE: 1/26/2019
The Thrift Store Manager provides supervision, oversight and management of agency’s thrift store operations to generate revenues to support agency administration & programs. This position will manage staff and volunteers, oversees sales, donations of merchandise, promotion of the store in the community, and internal fiscal controls and all other duties as assigned.
Directly: 1 employee
Indirectly: 20-30 volunteers
- Greets customers and donors in friendly manner upon arrival
- Oversees cash register operations, subtotals, collects cash or checks from customers and makes change.
- Distributes and stocks product and merchandise from production area, reviews prices changes and sale itemsDaily cleaning of store areas to include; bathroom (restocking toilet paper, paper towel dispensers and trash removal), entry doors/handles, and all other areas as needed.
- Reports maintenance needs to ED in a timely manner.
- Responds to customer complaints or inquiries in a courteous and helpful manner as needed, notifies ED of any ongoing or escalated concerns/issues.
Store Management & Merchandising
- Develop and implement written procedures for store operations, including opening, and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed.
- Oversees the processing of donated items, manages the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion including; sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to staff and volunteers; sets standards for merchandise.
- Manages supply inventory and completes purchase orders as necessary.
- Contributes to the development of annual revenue projections and financial goals.
- Oversees budget management; controls petty cash expenditures.
- Maintain and increase knowledge of resale, thrift, consignment and retail trends through daily reading (e-mail list, publications) and participation in webinars, staff meetings, and periodic offsite training as well as networking with other thrift shop managers.
- Oversee performance and quality improvement efforts.
- Acknowledge and follow financial policies, utilize agency resources appropriately.
- Collaborates and communicates with all Bixby Outreach Center staff and volunteers to remain consistent in policies and procedures regarding item and volunteer solicitation.
- Promotes awareness of the function and services of the Bixby Outreach Center and assist agency clients with clothing needs through the voucher system.
- Adheres to all agency policies and procedures.
- Completes and submits all required and assigned paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
- Coordinates the supervision, evaluation, training and professional development of all staff.
- Assesses the store’s need for additional staff and volunteers.
- Develops schedules for paid staff and works with the volunteer coordinator to ensure the development of a daily schedule of volunteer coverage to maintain adequate personnel at the store to accomplish tasks and respond to customers.
- Trains and supervises store volunteers; helps with recruiting of volunteers.
Maintains current knowledge of agency policies and procedures as they relate to personnel; monitor staff for adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure staff is in compliance.
- Ensures effective communication with staff to provide direction, guidance and oversight to personnel.
Address concerns and new ideas timely and provides written feedback as needed.
Marketing & Promotion
- Analyzes sales and current inventory in order to provide projections and recommendations to retain customers and increase sales.
- Oversees the display of merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store.
- Provide service to internal and external customers according to standards and ensures staff and volunteers follow same standards.
- Promote an excellent shopping experience within the store through staff training, stakeholder surveys, and focus groups.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent retail/resale experience.
- Experience in retail management (3+ years) and supervision of staff (2+ years) required.
- Experience overseeing volunteers preferred.
- Strong verbal, writing & organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Windows, database programs, point of sale software, and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of budget management, bookkeeping, and projections required.
- Previous experience demonstrating excellent customer service
- Valid Oklahoma driver’s license and legally required insurance.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while ensuring a positive, constructive environment and solution-oriented approach.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of BOC and its clients.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Requires ability to sit up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 4 hours per day.
- Occasionally may be required to lift items up to 10 pounds to a height up to 6 feet and 11-25 pounds to a height of 3 feet.
- Occasionally may be required to carry items up to 30 pounds for distances up to 25 feet.